Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Dear Robert Pattinson,

I am not a person who spends time looking at celebrity gossip. I have never been to Twitter, although I have heard of it on the radio. At this point in my life, I am not a fanatic of any famous person. I know who some of the celebs of the moment are, but in the last couple of years I think I've been out of touch.

In an alternate universe I might have time to check into celebrity gossip. That would be the life where I am a college student living in a studio down town, working at a coffee shoppe or pub, and dating. Rather, I married young and have become a mother. So, you see, I am too old for trivial things or things of enjoyment. At least, that's what I've let myself believe.

Despite not being in on the latest Hollywood news, I know who Robert Pattinson is because I am a fan of the Twilight book series and have seen the movie. Perhaps that's why the ad across the top of my log-in caught my eye a number of weeks ago? All I would have had to do is click on the add to see how Robert Pattinson celebrated his 23rd Birthday! I didn't click on the ad, but I stared at it for a moment. Robert Pattinson is 23. He was born the same year I was born. We are the same age. That knowledge made me want to go bungee jumping right in that moment. I flashed a vision of that life I would be living in an alternate universe, where financial responsibility would never hold me back, and I would spend money on clothes or tatoos instead of wheat grinders. Mostly, I experienced a moment of desperation; a longing to cling to my actual age instead of behaving as though I am ten years older; a desire to meld my two lives together to save myself.

That banner at the top of my log-in screen has been in my mind several times since I saw it. I have a new resolve: I am going to live my life like I turn 23 this year. I may be a very responsible 23 year old, but that is better than allowing myself to lose 10 years of my life because of the decisions I've made. I will not let myself be a 33 year old before it's the truth. Even then, in my alternate universe I would be a rad 33 year old. And I will be in this universe too. I probably won't go bungee jumping, but I'm planing on living a little younger. Thanks, Robert Pattinson for being born in 1986-not that you could have done anything about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment